Often overlooked, common witch hazel (Hamamelis virginiana) has an impressive background as an herbal remedy, dating back to the sixteenth century when Native Americans used it for everything from skin ulcers to colds. And though you shouldn't employ its plant powers for illnesses such as those, witch hazel is perfect for treating inflamed, irritated skin. Interestingly, it's one of the only medicinal plants approved by the FDA as an Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient (API) for over-the-counter skin protectants. Of all the natural products available, this multipurpose skin care ingredient is a must-have for the spa.
How to Use Witch Hazel in a Spa Treatment for Skin and Body Care
Extremely economical and amazingly effective, witch hazel can be used in a variety of spa treatments. Here are a few ideas:
1. Treat oily or acneic skin. A natural astringent, witch hazel removes excess oil, tightens pores, and reduces inflammation.
2. Provide to clients as a post-steam mist. Witch hazel cleanses and refreshes without overdrying the skin. Add ½ tsp. of vegetable glycerin per 8 fl. oz. to lock in moisture.
3. Soothe and balance the skin's pH. Witch hazel is an excellent toner!
4. Add as a liquid base for body treatments. Mix your clay or mud body masks with 1 part water, 1 part witch hazel for maximum benefit.
5. Use as a refresher mist in your waxing rooms. Just add a few drops (2-4 per 8 fl. oz.) of essential oil. Store in a glass mist bottle.
Need to store your witch hazel blends? Universal Companies offers a variety of professional supplies ranging from clear plastic spray bottles to cobalt blue glass and plastic atomizers.
Anita Lumpkin is the director of education for Universal Companies. She works at the Wellness & Beauty Learning Center in Torrance, California, where she offers fun, unique classes that cover a wide range of topics, including business and professional skills; advanced technique training for estheticians, massage therapists, and nail technicians; and protocol-centered workshops for on-trend services. Anita enjoys developing spa treatment protocols and helping spas create their service menus. She's passionate about teaching and helping spa professionals boost their businesses.
Universal Companies is proud to offer professional training at our Wellness & Beauty Learning Center. Our customers can also take a class, attend a webinar, or read our articles online, where they can also shop the broadest selection of spa products and supplies. Dedicated to the success of spa professionals everywhere, we're grateful to be recognized with the American Spa Magazine Professional's Choice Award, Favorite Distributor of the Year, for 12 consecutive years. (Thank you!)