Please direct responses to: Attn: Human Resources, 18260 Oak Park Drive, Abingdon, VA 24210, email: email@example.com or Fax: 276-591-4491
This Position Reports to the CFO
SUMMARY OF JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
Incumbent has the responsibility and accountability of managing the finance department. Incumbent provides financial information regarding the company’s financial status to assist the management team and other users in making educated economic decisions about the company’s future. Incumbent maximizes the return on financial assets by adhering to financial policies, procedures, controls and reporting systems. This position also ensures legal and regulatory compliance for all accounting and financial reporting functions. The position is responsible for timely completion of monthly internal financial statements and annual audit. Incumbent oversees cost and general accounting, accounts receivable/collections, payroll, and accounts payable. This individual is also responsible for safeguarding the company’s assets.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
Oversee the accuracy and productivity of day-to-day activities of accounts payable, cash disbursements, invoicing/billing, customer credits and collections, payroll, inventory integrity, fixed asset records, general ledger accounting
Oversee the activities of the accounts receivable department to ensure the accurate and timely management of all accounts receivable aging components including billings and cash receipts application
Oversee payroll, including, but not limited bi-weekly processing, monthly closing and federal and state reports
Establish and maintain systems and controls that verify the integrity of all systems, processes and data, and enhance the company's value
Communicate with co-workers, management, clients and others in a courteous and professional manner. Conform with and abide by all regulations, policies, work procedures and instructions
Interface with outside audit firms(s), banks and lessors, casualty/liability insurance agent(s), merchant card processors
Perform and provide financial analysis of sales and cost performance across Universal’s lines of business
Oversee preparation and analysis of financial results for inclusion in the monthly management report
Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures
Participate in special projects, as requested by senior management
Other duties as deemed necessary
Oversee the operations of the accounting department, including the design of an organizational structure adequate for achieving the department's goals and objectives
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the company policies and applicable laws.
Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, planning, assigning, directing work, rewarding, disciplining employees, performance reviews, and addressing complaints and resolving problems
Oversee the activities of the accounting department for the accurate and timely dissemination of financial management reports including, but not limited to, internal and external monthly financial statements, forecasts and annual audits and annual budgets
Issue timely and complete financial statements
Research variances and anomalies in the financial statements and determine corrective action
Recommend benchmarks against which to measure the performance of company operations
Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management
Assure financial plans are consistent with organizational goals
Provide financial analysis tools to evaluate company ventures or special projects, programs, capital expenditures, products costing, etc. when necessary
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Extensive knowledge and experience performing variance, cost and trend analysis
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, with strong fluency in Microsoft Excel formulas and functions being required
- Working knowledge of JD Edwards, Crystal Reports, SQL and Vertex preferred.
- Must have strong credentials in budgeting, forecasting and cash management with particular emphasis on efficient management of working capital
- Industry knowledge should include companies with large product lines (SKUs) sold to a very broad customer base. Experience with distribution, fulfillment, catalog-type companies selling B2B or B2C is highly desirable
- Must be able to demonstrate an ability to work with and support the various functional departments within the company to improve bottom line results. Must have a good business judgment and knowledge of procedures, systems and methods to suggest and help implement change to support rapid growth
- Must have excellent organizational skills and acute attention to detail.
- Must have strong creative, problem-solving, decision making, and motivational skills.
- Highly developed interpersonal, presentation, and oral/written communication skills.
- Knowledge of skin care, spa or salon industries or similar type field preferred.
- Flexibility to travel as needed and work extended hours as business dictates.
- Minimum of an undergraduate degree plus a minimum of twelve to fifteen (12-15) years of financial management experience culminating in recent experience as Controller of a company or business unit with sales in excess of $75mm
- Licensed CPA preferred
Experience in the following a big plus:
- Prior expertise within the spa or salon market
- The previous statements are only meant to be a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by the individual and are not intended to be all-inclusive. This individual will also perform other reasonably-related job responsibilities as assigned by management as required. Universal Companies, Inc. reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need arises. Moreover, management reserves the right to change the job descriptions, job duties, or working schedules based on their duty to accommodate individuals with disabilities. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.