While some sustainability measures can require sizeable up-front costs (but save money in the long run), there are many that are free or inexpensive. Here are a few:
1. Touch points—such as gentle reminders on light switches to turn off lights when not in use—save energy and communicate your care to the client.
2. Choose natural or organic products and supplies for retail, backbar, and janitorial.
3. Provide clients with water or organic tea that is filtered and chlorine-free, and serve with organic condiments (e.g., fresh herbs, sugar, stevia).
4. Install water-saving equipment. Some water-saving equipment is really economical, such as faucet aerators and low-flow shower heads.
5. Use cold water for laundry when feasible.
6. Set computer monitors to “fall asleep” after 10 minutes of inactivity.
7. When it’s time to swap out your linens, consider donating worn sheets to the local animal shelter. Be sure to call first before you drop them off because each shelter has its own needs.
8. Precycle (avoid waste) by asking customers if they want a bag for retail items instead of assuming that they do, by buying in bulk, and by choosing reusable over disposable items.
9. Look into replacing old bulbs with CFL (compact fluorescent light) bulbs or LED (light emitting diode) bulbs.
10. To find out where to recycle CFL bulbs, cell phones, batteries, and electronics in your area, visit Earth 911 and type in your ZIP code. Share your findings with staff.
11. Clean the air. . .with plants! The results of a scientific study‡ revealed that some indoor plants can filter out common volatile organic compounds which originate from building materials, furniture, cleaning supplies, etc. View the best plants for improving indoor air quality.
See more information about spa greening.
‡Study led by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration in association with the Associated Landscape Contractors of America.
Universal Companies is proud to have a team of experienced spa advisors on staff and welcomes you to consult with our professionals about spa products and supplies, including ingredients, equipment, and retail. Dedicated to the success of spa professionals everywhere, we're grateful to be recognized with the American Spa Magazine Professional's Choice Award, Favorite Distributor of the Year, for many consecutive years. (Thank you!)