Which Facial Moisturizer Is Right For Your Skin?
The right moisturizer is like the perfect little black dress—one of the wisest investments you can make to always look your best. Finding the ideal facial moisturizer, however, is not as easy as it sounds. Here are some tips to keep in mind as you choose the perfect one for your skin type or make recommendations to your guests.
General Best Practices
- Use a moisturizer with SPF in the morning only.
- Test what weight your moisturizer should be. Wash your skin with your favorite cleanser, dry it, and wait for a minute to see how your skin feels. If it’s comfortable, look for a lighter weight cream. If you feel like your skin is cracking, look for a heavier product. The goal is to have your skin feel supple and comfortable.
- Do not use a body cream on your face. The facial skin is thinner than body skin, and needs a different kind of care.
- Always look for a multi-tasking moisturizer. It should nourish, but also provide antioxidants and vitamins to prevent the appearance of aging.
- Remember that your skin changes with time; the moisturizer that was perfect for you in your 20s is probably not the moisturizer that is ideal for you in your 40s.
- In addition to age, keep in mind that seasons and climate will impact how your skin feels. If you live in a warmer, more humid climate (Florida, for example), your skin will typically get some of its moisture from the air, so you can use a lighter moisturizer. If you live in a colder climate, or in a very dry climate (think Las Vegas), the environment will pull moisture out of your skin and you will need a heavier moisturizer.
Oily, Combination Skin
Don’t completely forego a moisturizer. Instead, look for a serum or lightweight formulation with anti-inflammatory ingredients to help prevent breakouts, and hyaluronic acid to help prevent dehydration.
We recommend: Alchimie Forever Pigment Lightening Serum
Look for a formula that will provide moisture with a matte finish and antioxidant ingredients to help maintain the skin’s youthful appearance. Ideally your moisturizer will also contain broad-spectrum sun protection.
We recommend: Alchimie Forever Daily Defense Cream SPF 23 for the morning and Alchimie Forever Kantic Calming Cream for the evening. (Alchimie Forever Daily Defense Cream SPF 23 is also our recommended moisturizer for younger consumers, including teenagers.)
Look for ingredients that are nourishing, hydrating, and that help the skin maintain its barrier function. Various oils and oil-based vitamins, including jojoba, shea butter, and vitamin E will help leave the skin feeling comfortable and protected.
We Recommend: Alchimie Forever: Kantic+ Intensely Nourishing Cream
Men’s skin is thicker than women’s, and has more sebaceous glands, meaning it is naturally oilier. Men typically will benefit from an oil-free moisturizer that has soothing properties and will help heal the skin post-shaving.
We Recommend: Alchimie Forever Antioxidant Skin Repair Gel
Remember, the more customized your skin care and retail recommendations, the healthier your clients’ skin will be. And that makes for loyal skin care customers who keep coming back to you!