Proper Application & Removal of Soft Wax
By Lori Vargas, founder of 360 Wellness Education
The biggest difference between using soft wax (strip wax) and hard wax (stripless wax) is the inclusion of waxing strips. Soft wax also has different consistency; it adheres to the skin as well as to the hair. This means that the outermost top layer of the skin also comes off when the wax is removed. This may leave the skin red and irritated afterward. Because the top layer of the skin and hair follicle is removed, never re-treat an area, even if some hairs weren’t stripped away on the first try. Soft wax works best on large areas like the back, legs, and arms. Hard wax is better for smaller, more sensitive areas like brows, facial, and intimate regions.
- • Apply a thin layer of pre-waxing oil to create a lipid barrier to protect wax from sticking to the skin. Note: Excessive oil will keep wax from adhering to the hair.
- • Remove moisture by wiping with a gauze wipe or by using a gauze wipe dusted with light talc-free powder. You may need to wipe throughout the service.
- • Always follow the manufacturer's protocols and guidelines on wax consistency.
Wax Application Dipping
- • Stir wax around the side of the container and into the center.
- • Dip the tip of a clean applicator into the center of the wax container for a consistent wax temperature. Note: The wax will be the hottest around the edges.
- • Caution: Never double dip the waxing applicator; each time the applicator touches wax, it must be thrown away to ensure a sterile environment. The temperature of the wax is not hot enough to kill bacteria.
- • Stretch skin taut when applying wax to create a thorough application to the hair root.
- • Using medium pressure, apply soft wax in a very thin layer using the edge of an applicator at a 45-degree angle to the skin.
- • Apply in the direction of hair growth with a swift glide.
- • Do not overlap freshly waxed skin.
- • Cover the wax with a woven or non-woven strip and firmly rub along the strip in the SAME DIRECTION of the hair growth.
- • Create a pull tab by allowing a wax-free portion at the pulling end of the strip to grip it for removal; 1/2 to 2 inches.
- • Use one hand to hold the skin taut and away from the pull tab.
- • Taut skin is easier for hair removal
- • Provides less pull on the client's skin and is less painful
- • Use the other hand to lift the pull tab.
- • Quickly pull the wax strip parallel across the skin in the opposite direction of the wax that was applied.
- • DO NOT PULL UP to
- • Avoid bruising or tearing the skin.
- • Increase the chance of bulb removal for longer-lasting results.
- • Avoid hair breakage in the follicle.
- • After each strip is removed, immediately apply firm pressure with the palm of the hand to the waxed area to alleviate any pain.
Interested in learning more? The online courses below can help you grow your skills while you earn CEUs!
Advanced Speed Body Waxing Zone Method™ Training & Certificate
Learn speed waxing using the Waxing Zone Method for full body services utilizing both theory and hands-on practice. The course will cover speed waxing techniques on legs, arms, underarms, chest, stomach, and back regions. You'll reduce service time while increasing profitability and accuracy of waxing treatment.
Advanced Male Body Speed Waxing Zone Method™ Training & Certificate
This course teaches male full body waxing with the Waxing Zone Method ™ utilizing both theory and hands-on practice. It covers waxing techniques on legs, arms, underarms, chest, stomach, and back regions. Learn how to increase profitability by cutting your service time down and improving accuracy of waxing.
About Lori Vargas, MBA (she/her/hers)
Lori Vargas, founder of 360 Wellness Education, has over 20 years in the spa industry as a founder of multiple spas, a massage school, and as a spa consultant. She also has 14 years of experience guiding Fortune 500 Companies with corporate strategies and business development. Lori holds a CPA and MBA from the University of Chicago.
To complement her online 360 Wellness Education courses, Lori has created an educational community focused on connections and growth through 360 Wellness Education CORE Membership. This membership provides easy access to affordable on-demand advanced education, live webinars (sip & learn style), Facebook private group, newsletters, and live events. Follow on Instagram at @360WellnessEducation .
In addition to CORE Membership and her other online courses, Lori offers 360 Business Workshops. This live webinar series focuses on business start-up and development, sharing valuable insight, advice, and templates to jumpstart business growth and maximize success.
Universal Companies is proud to have a team of experienced spa advisors on staff and welcomes you to consult with our professionals about spa products and supplies, including ingredients, equipment, and retail. Dedicated to the success of spa professionals everywhere, we're grateful to be recognized with the American Spa Magazine Professional's Choice Award, Favorite Distributor of the Year for many consecutive years. (Thank you!)