Thankfulness is the beginning of gratitude. Gratitude is the completion of thankfulness. Thankfulness may consist merely of words. Gratitude is shown in acts. – David O. McKay
“Danke schön,” “merci beaucoup,” “muchas gracias,” or just plain “thank you”? No matter which words you use, chances are your mother taught you to always express your thanks to others. But is it enough to just say it? Not according to JFK, who claimed,
“As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.” – John Fitzgerald Kennedy
That got me thinking about how spas and salons practice gratitude daily. What does it look like to show our thanks to clients and customers in a real, tangible way?
HOW CAN YOU SHOW GRATITUDE?
Here are six ideas you may not have thought of:
- Stephanie Ollikainen, esthetician at Allen Dermatology & Skin Cancer Center in Macon, Georgia, says her favorite way to show clients her appreciation is to “offer a free add-on or upgrade to a scheduled treatment.”
- We found another salon and spa that has an automatic VIP reward program that awards points for retail dollars spent, pre-booking appointments, referrals, or trying a new service. Clients can save their points for future services or retail items.
- Still another Certified Green Spa we found offers discounted services to new clients who download their paperwork, fill it out, and bring it to their first appointment. The spa saves the expense of paper and time spent waiting for clients to fill out forms in the spa. Sounds like a win-win to us!
- Host an annual “sparty” for loyal local clients who keep your spa going. Complementary mini treatments, seasonal beverages, and promotions on gift certificates and retail will make them feel appreciated and fill the appointment books for months to follow.
- Of course, take-aways and samples make great thank-you gifts. If you have product left after your clients’ treatment, put it in a pretty bottle or jar and send it home with them. Or create a small body spray with the same essential oils you used during their appointment, to remind them of the service (and bring them back, you hope).
- Finally, never underestimate the power of a handwritten card, especially in this digital age. Your clients will be touched, and they’ll be even more impressed if you include a certificate for a percentage or dollar amount off of their next visit!