Master Men's Manicure and Pedicure Services This Father's Day
Anna Bralley, Director of Education, Universal Companies
It's that time again, when your clients are anxiously asking themselves, “What can I give for Father’s Day gifts this year?”
The good news for you and frantic clients is that men are increasingly adopting manicure and pedicure services as a regular part of their grooming routines. So be a hero to your clients and offer Father's Day deals on specialized nail services in your spa or salon. If you don't normally cater to men, here are seven tips to get you started:
- Don't assume that your male client has ever experienced a pedicure service. If you have the opportunity beforehand, advise him on how to dress for a pedicure. Tell him not to wear slim leg pants; loose leg pants or shorts are best.
- Create a relaxed environment during men's mani-pedi treatments, which can last anywhere between 30 and 60 minutes each. Some salons and nail spas have amenities geared towards men, like flat-screen TVs, oversize leather chairs, newspapers, masculine décor, and sports, hot rod, or hunting magazines. Consider offering spa refreshments and gearing aromatherapy toward more masculine scents.
- As with female clients, soaking your male clients' feet in warm water and including a foot and leg massage can help to soothe tender feet and increase circulation.
- Train technicians to recognize infections, fungus, etc. Ask about and, if possible, treat dry, itchy skin, cracked cuticles, and athlete's foot. Gehwol offers targeted solutions for all foot and nail conditions and Footlogix provides a full range of foot care formulas as well.
- Men generally like their nails cut straight across and not rounded at the edges. Cutting the nails straight creates a neat, trim appearance and helps prevent ingrown nails.
- Men need nail treatments, too. Buffing and then finishing with a matte coat will win their loyalty hands down. Use OPI Nail Envy Matte in service or sell a spa retail bottle to your male client for home use.
- Provide aftercare instructions for your male clients. Male clients also might be interested in lotions or creams for use on their hands or feet. The disposable nail brush you used during the service makes a good takeaway that will help keep nails looking their best, as will a natural shine block.
If you follow these seven tips to make your manicure and pedicure services appealing to men, you'll easily set your spa apart from other nearby nail places when it comes to Father's Day gift ideas.
Are you making the most of SEO in your local advertising? With mobile searches for spas and salons "near me" on the rise, you should use search terms like, "male manicure near me," and get your business' name and contact information in local directories such as Google My Business.
Universal Companies is proud to have a team of experienced spa advisors on staff and welcomes you to consult with our professionals about spa products and supplies, including ingredients, equipment, and retail. Dedicated to the success of spa professionals everywhere, we're grateful to be recognized with the American Spa Magazine Professional's Choice Award, Favorite Distributor of the Year for many consecutive years. (Thank you!)