48 Things You Can Do for Earth Day 2021
April 20 • Wellness & Sustainability
Earth Day is more than a “recycle your stuff day,” it’s a powerful voice for the planet. The first Earth Day in 1970 is credited as being the catalyst that inspired passage of important environmental laws in the US. These include the Clean Air, Clean Water, and Endangered Species Acts plus the formation of the EPA to uphold them. Other countries quickly followed suit, and today, it’s a global movement.
At a time when we’re all feeling a little isolated, sharing a unified message of hope and optimism is what we need. As advocates of personal wellness, spa professionals are naturally inclined to promote planetary wellness. Whether you choose “green” products or conserve energy, everything you do matters. And it’s not relegated to the spa or salon. There’s much we can do at home, too.
To celebrate Earth Day 2021, we’ve gathered 48 things we can do–professionally and personally–to demonstrate environmental care. Please join us! Together, we speak for our common home.
Spa & Office Ideas
2. Use environmentally-friendly, non-toxic cleaning products. There are several great options made for spa and salon use.
3. Form a “green team” at your spa or salon to find cost-effective ways to conserve resources and promote sustainability.
4. Use cloth towels instead of paper ones.
5. Read documents online instead of printing them.
6. When you need to use paper, make sure it’s 100% post-consumer recycled paper.
7. Set your office (and home) printers to print two-sided.
8. Collect used printer and copier cartridges to recycle.
9. Turn off and unplug electronics you’re not using. This includes turning off your computer at night.
10. Add vegan options to your spa (See 4 Reasons You Should Offer Vegan Spa Options).
11. Spread the word - Share tips and activities on social media.
12. Join GSN Planet and help promote the connection between personal well-being, economic sustainability, and the health of our planet.
14. Stop using disposable plastics, especially single-use plastics like bottles, bags, and straws.
15. Recycle paper, plastic, and glass.
16. Donate your old clothes and home goods instead of throwing them out.
17. Add plants to your home or office.
18. Take a shorter shower and use a water-saving showerhead.
19. Fix leaky faucets and shower-heads.
20. Install a programmable thermostat.
21. Clean or replace HVAC filters every three months.
22. Run your dishwasher only when it’s full to save water and energy.
23. Wash your clothes only when necessary, use cold water and line dry.
24. Turn off lights when you leave a room.
25. Use energy-efficient appliances and electronics.
26. Recycle batteries from small appliances and your electronics. Use rechargeable batteries instead!
27. Unsubscribe from postal junk mail
28. Check the personal and environmental safety of items you use every day at ewg.org
29. Add reusable wool dryer balls to your laundry instead of single-use dryer sheets.
30. Pack your lunch in a reusable bag.
31. Buy local food to reduce the distance from farm to fork.
32. Buy organic food to keep your body and the environment free of toxic pesticides.
33. Reduce your meat consumption to curb carbon emissions from the livestock industry.
34. Learn food preservation techniques (canning, pickling, drying, freezing).
Garden & Yard Ideas
35. Plant a tree.
36. Grow your own organic garden, or join a farm-share group.
37. Compost kitchen scraps for use in your garden — turning waste into fertilizer.
38. Conserve water outdoors by only watering your lawn in the early morning or late at night.
39. Landscape with native plants (xeriscaping), reducing watering requirements.
40. Make your yard wildlife-friendly.
41. Use reusable bottles for water, and reusable mugs for coffee.
42. Join a local park, river, or beach clean-up.
43. Bring reusable bags when you shop.
44. Carpool, ride your bike, use public transportation, or drive an electric or hybrid car.
45. Don't idle in your car.
46. Listen to podcasts for inspiration on green living.
47. Ask restaurants to skip the plastic utensils with your delivery or pickup orders.
48. Visit our national parks - virtually!
Universal Companies is proud to have a team of experienced spa advisors on staff and welcomes you to consult with our professionals about spa products and supplies, including ingredients, equipment, and retail. Dedicated to the success of spa professionals everywhere, we're grateful to be recognized with the American Spa Magazine Professional's Choice Award, Favorite Distributor of the Year for many consecutive years. (Thank you!)